What is Radically-Open DBT?
Are you the sort of person who is some of the following:
- avoids risk and novelty
- plans ahead
- struggles to really connect with others
- follows rules
- feels unappreciated
- struggles to relax and be playful?
RO DBT is a new evidence-based treatment for patients with emotional over-control. ‘Self- Control’ is usually seen as a good thing, however too much self-control can cause difficulties. Excessive self-control is associated with social isolation and poor interpersonal relations and it contributes to conditions like anorexia nervosa, obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, chronic depression and autistic spectrum disorders.
We are social beings and we know that 3 core components of emotional well-being are:
- Openness to feedback, even when this is challenging
- Flexibility in our responses, to ever changing demands
- Communication of our emotions, recognizing that expressing emotion is crucial when forming close interpersonal bonds
RO-DBT treatment strategies aim to build:
- Flexible responding to the demands of the moment
- Emphasis on the importance of authentic emotional expression to build positive interpersonal relationships
- Self-inquiry into our usual responses
- Ability to manage unexpected or challenging feedback
- Greater receptivity and openness
- Stronger social connections
For more on RO-DBT, please see this link